Happy new year! How are you feeling? Head ok? Stomach in place? Memories of last night intact?
My new year was a lot quieter than last year’s, as I decided against going to a party or the pub, so had a nice night in with Lizzie (and a bottle of vodka, but the less said about that the better).
I’ve just checked and apparently my resolutions from last year were:
- become more bendy
- watch 1 film a week at the cinema
- cook more Thai food
Huh. Apparently, I forgot these resolutions approximately 6 seconds after typing them – whoops! Needless to say, I have put absolutely no effort into achieving any of them. On the other hand, I have managed to do the following:
- visit America
- end a relationship
- start a second volunteer project
- spend more time with my mama
- win NaNo
- get my cat back
- move house
- catch up with Game of Thrones
So all in all, a fairly successful year! I have resolutions for the coming year, although given my enormous failure from last year I’m not really sure I’ll manage any of them:
- reduce my caffeine intake to (almost) nothing
- quit smoking
- drink less alcohol
- cut down on salt
- learn the Torn dance (and any other dances I can find tutorials for online)
- read one book per week
- spend time writing, with the goal of entering three writing competitions over the course of the year
- start preparing for NaNo 2014 before November (ideally beginning in March)
- blog more often, both here and on my other two blogs
- exercise at least three times a week
- watch the imdb top 250 movies
- finish watching Oz, Breaking Bad and The Wire by the end of 2014
It’s a whole bunch of resolutions, to be sure, but I view them as ‘ways of living more happily and healthily’, so the more of them I can stick the better. I’m using the changing of the calendar from December to January as a marker to start making changes to my life, I could just as easily choose two weeks from now. That said, it is convenient that I can begin to implement the new habits before going back to work on Monday.
No recipe for today, because we ordered pizza last night and are both slowly working our way through the leftovers as we watch tv – no cooking required!